Total Pageviews

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Keeping root on Nexus 7 when updating Android from 4.1.2 to 4.2

Yesterday Google rolled out Android 4.2 for the Nexus 7 devices. I hesitated to do an instant update because I was not sure if OTA Rootkeeper was capable of rooting my device (using Android 4.1.2) again after the update.
Searching through the usually suspects boards (xda-developers, android-hilfe, etc ...) didn't yield a result. Seems that no one has tried it so far or no one has found the time to post his experiences :(
At least I found out that the Nexus 7 Root Toolkit was updated and therefore able to root a Nexus 7 device with Android 4.2 (afaik your device will be wiped after rooting - please check board posting on xda-developers).
That was the starting signal for me to do the update and try rooting again with rootkeeper. If rootkeeper does not work I still can reroot my device again using the toolkit.
Well it turns out my fear was baseless.
Rootkeeper was able to root my device again so I still have a rooted Nexus 7 using Android 4.2.
Great tool :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment