If you don't have grub rescue:
- Try booting from a live CD
- In case Live CD doesn't have package "grub" install it first (eg. sudo apt-get install grub)
- Take a look at your partition table: sudo fdisk -l
/dev/sda5 1276 1397 979902 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda6 1398 2550 9261441 83 Linux
- In this case grub should be installed on /dev/sda6 (in grub this is hd0,5).
NOTE: Every device in grub starts with "hd", even if it's a SATA device.
- Type in the following in a shell:
- More infos can be found in this article.
sudo grub grub > root (hd0,5) grub > setup (hd0) grub > quit